You have a right to equal opportunity in the rental, purchase, financing and insuring of homes. Housing discrimination is the denial of equal opportunity in the rental, purchase, financing and insuring of homes because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, familial status or handicap.
If you think you have been the victim of discrimination, report it at www.hud.gov/fairhousing or call 1-800-669-9777.
What is Prohibited?
When selling or renting housing, no one may not do the following if based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or handicap:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Deny a dwelling
- Set different terms or conditions
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available
- For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent or
- Deny anyone access or membership in a facility or service related to the sale or rental of housing
In Mortgage Lending
- Refuse to make a mortgage loan
- Refuse to provide information regarding a loan
- Impose different terms or conditions on a loan
- Discriminate in appraising property
- Refuse to purchase a loan or
- Set different terms or conditions for purchasing a loan.
Signs of Housing Discrimination
- You inquire about an apartment in person, and you are told it was just rented
- The owner refuses to tell you why the house is no longer available
- The rent or deposit is higher than advertised
- You are told, “You won’t like here, there’s no place for kids to play.”
- You are asked marital status, race, nature of disability or citizenship
- You are told the building is not made for a wheel chair
If You Suspect Discrimination, you can
- Complete a HUD Discrimination Complaint form
- Write HUD a letter
- Call the HUD office nearest you
- You should make detailed notes of your experience including date, time, name of agent or landlord, and what you saw or were told
- Keep copies of advertising, letter or correspondence
www.hud.gov/fairhousing or call 1-800-669-9777.