The San Francisco Office of Financial Empowerment (OFE) is partnering with the Impact Hub San Francisco (925 Mission St.) and the Mayor’s Office of Civic Innovation (MOCI) to host the Smart Money Hackathon and Tech Clinic.
Developers, designers, marketers, community members and makers of all kinds are invited to participate in this weekend hackathon to build capacity for financial empowerment nonprofit and public organizations.
Teams will have the chance to compete for $1000+, a ticket to SOCAP 2014 and a three-month Hub membership in front of judges from Capital One, IDEO.org, Kiva, Mission Asset Fund and Square.
The following organizations and programs will present key capacity challenges and opportunities for innovation.
- Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA): Asset development for San Francisco’s low- and moderate-income Latino families
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of San Francisco: Comprehensive financial counseling and education for thousands of consumers locally and nationally
- Kindergarten to College: Automatic college savings account program in SFUSD
- Mission SF: Incentivized youth savings and financial awareness and advocacy
- Office of Financial Empowerment: One-stop hub for all San Francisco financial education resources
As part of the Mayor’s Office of Civic Innovation Tech Clinics initiative, project teams are encouraged to commit follow-up hours after the weekend to complete their new services, products and tools that build the capacity of community initiatives. These teams will have the chance to work closely with their nonprofit and civic partner, and then present their finished product at the following Tech Clinic.