Position: Family Success Coach – Mission Promise Neighborhood
Reports to: Mission Promise Neighborhood-Family Support Manager
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) – Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development. MEDA is advancing strategies to create asset building opportunities for San Francisco’s Latino families and in the Mission District through: (1) our core, integrated Asset Building Programs related to housing, financial capability, workforce development, business development, and tax preparation; (2) serving as a backbone agency to advance educational opportunity and family economic success through the Mission Promise Neighborhood; (3) creating and preserving affordable housing and commercial real estate in the Mission District through Community Real Estate; (4) providing access to capital and innovative financial products through the Adelante Fund; and (5) Policy and Advocacy efforts that support our mission.
The Family Success Coach serves as the central component of the MPN service delivery system. The Family Success Coaches create the direct connection between students & families at school sites and the vast array of programs and resources that compose our continuum of services available for the community. The Family Success Coaches identify service gaps and build their network in San Francisco to ensure the community has access.
Location: The FSC will be a MEDA employee but will be assigned to work at a school site 4 days per week and 1 day at MEDA. During school holidays or closures, FSCs are expected to be at MEDA. The FSC will have a workspace at MEDA and will be expected to participate in all MEDA staff meetings, functions, and training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide one-on-one consultations to families and their children to assess their needs, and help them develop and follow through with action plans that will help them meet academic, financial, and other family and/or personal goals.
- Screen and help families apply for services and benefits.
- Ensure that families understand and access the full continuum of services associated with the Mission Promise Neighborhood.
- Work with families to develop a transition plan to ensure that their children successfully transition between preschool and kindergarten, elementary to middle school, middle to high school, and high school to college.
- Address barriers to obtaining academic success (such as belief, knowledge, and motivation) and help create a college-going culture.
- Provide excellent client service in a culturally and linguistically appropriate way that empowers and supports each community member.
- Inspire families to become advocates for system change to benefit the Mission Community by providing experience feedback and sharing stories via the MPN’s Community Report Card app.
- Connect families and youth to leadership opportunities offered by MPN partners.
Partner Collaboration and Service Coordination
- Work within a team at an assigned school site to develop and implement MPN strategies and services, i.e., referral process within sites, coordination of services, etc.
- Develop an expert understanding of social services in the Mission District and in San Francisco and coordinate directly with MPN partners and school-site staff to ensure that families are aware of and access the services they need.
- Together with MPN partners, create a seamless transition and referral system for students and their families along the MPN “pipeline” of services.
- Ensure that each family is accessing the services they need and that barriers to service are removed by sharing client experience and advocating for change.
- Identify and establish relationships with new service providers that offer services needed by families.
- Deliver and or coordinate presentations with community partners to cover topics identified by families.
Data Collection and Tracking
- Collect, monitor, track, and maintain all data on families and students served, including demographic, family finance, public benefits, and referrals. Identify additional supportive and/or more intensive services where needed.
- Collect, monitor, and track data on progress toward goals in a centralized and shared database. Ensure in a timely fashion the collection, entry, quality, and security of client data.
- Analyze data collected to identify trends and stories and provide feedback on improvements to data collection.
- Conduct outreach to inform community members about the Mission Promise Neighborhood’s intent, goals, and services.
- Participate in and present at community events and meetings, host information sessions, and distribute marketing and informational material to target audiences.
- BA degree is preferred- Major in Social Work, Sociology, Education, Ethnic Studies, or a related field.
- Applicants may substitute required education with a minimum of 2-3 years experience in direct service as a provider in a school, community-based organization, or public agency.
- Bilingual Spanish-English fluency must be able to speak and write fluently in Spanish.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working with immigrant, economically disadvantaged, and diverse populations is required.
- Knowledge of the Mission District community, SFUSD, and social service providers is preferred.
- Familiarity with community organizing and empowerment methodologies is highly desirable.
- Ability to provide excellent client service, maintain families engaged, and be accountable to help families navigate and achieve their goals.
- Ability to take initiative, identify and solve problems and be a representative of MPN and MEDA in the community.
- Tolerance for changes and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to collaborate and build strong and trusting relationships with all MPN partners (CBOs, schools, and public agencies) is required.
- Ability to use Google Suites, and Microsoft, willingness to adapt and learn tools to successfully achieve work responsibilities such as Salesforce, Zoom, Dialpad, etc.
Please click on the following link and complete the application: https://medasf.bamboohr.com/careers/139