Mission & Vision
MEDA is a community-based, local economic development corporation located in the Mission District of San Francisco. For over 38 years MEDA has worked to improve economic and social conditions in the neighborhood by stimulating investment, enhancing the business environment, and creating jobs for area residents. MEDA is committed to maintaining the cultural identity and resources of the Mission District.
The mission of MEDA is to achieve economic justice for San Francisco’s low- to moderate-income Latino families through asset development. Asset Development is the process of encouraging and supporting individuals and families to develop, accumulate and manage personal, social and material (especially financial) assets.
In the long-term, we envision generations of Latino families that are a part of vibrant, diverse, proud and forward-thinking communities in which residents own their homes and businesses, and are actively engaged in the civic life of their neighborhoods and the institutions that affect their lives. We see these families as having sufficient assets to provide them and future generations with the opportunity to call San Francisco their permanent home.
In working to achieve our mission, MEDA has identified several core values that we strive to reflect in all of our activities. Our core values are:
- Equity and fairness. We value equity and fairness in how we work together, in our relations with our constituencies and in the society we seek to help create.
- Relevance. We value work that addresses the actual needs of our constituencies, ensuring that our services add real value and are provided in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
- A healthy workplace. We value sound working conditions for our staff, Board and others who participate in our place of work. We strive to make sure that their experience is positive, fair, sustainable and fulfilling.
- Leadership. We value leadership, the quality of influencing others—through beliefs, ethics, character, vision, commitment, knowledge, wisdom, skills, innovations and initiative—to help achieve economic justice for our constituencies. Leadership can be exercised by everyone, regardless of their position and authority. MEDA seeks to foster leadership within our constituencies. We also aim to foster leadership among our staff, Board, and supporters, and to exercise leadership in the communities in which we work.
- Mission District. We value the Mission District. The Mission has been our home and base of operations for many years. Its people, and geographic, social and political dynamics, have strongly shaped who we are and what we do. While our focus is now broader, we actively recognize the importance of the Mission.