Better Your Skills. Better Your Community. Better People’s Lives.
Are you looking for a way to give back to the Mission community?
Do you want to put your skills and training to best use to help others in the Mission?
Are you ready to learn, better your resume and have fun?
Then it’s time to volunteer at MEDA in San Francisco’s Mission!
Tell us about your interests and available time — we can customize your volunteer experience.
Take five minutes to fill out our volunteer form and we will contact you in a few business days.
Welcome to our community of volunteers!
Volunteer to provide free tax preparation to low-income families in the Mission
Volunteer as a Tax Preparer or Tax Greeter with MEDA’s VITA Tax Program here in the Mission District.
As a Tax Preparation volunteer ,you will learn how to file taxes and learn about asset-development services, all while helping thousands of low-income families keep millions of dollars in tax returns. Without volunteers providing this tax preparation service, many people in our community would not have received their tax refund or completed their taxes due to the expense. The typical $300 cost for tax preparation could eat up as much as 80 percent of a low0income community member’s tax refund. Last year, the community had $8 million in refunds — a record for our organization’s VITA program.
This is a great opportunity to help low-income families become more self-sufficient and financially stable. With guidance from trained volunteers, families are able to take advantage of services designed to help them keep their money and start saving.
No previous experience is necessary! We provide tax training for all volunteers.
What Can I Expect as a volunteer tax preparer at MEDA?
- Attend tax certification training or utilize Link & Learn online training system.
- Successfully pass a test on required tax law knowledge.
- Volunteer for three to four hours per week from Jan. 21 to April 15, 2020.
- Provide high-quality assistance to all taxpayers.
- Interview taxpayer to determine if all income, deductions and allowable credits are claimed.
- Prepare taxpayer’s return using IRS-provided software.
- Answer any tax-related questions and get help from a site coordinator if you need support.
- Maintain confidentiality of taxpayer information.
- Ensure on-site quality review is performed on completed returns prior to taxpayer signature.
- Ensure a copy of the completed return is provided to the taxpayer.
What can I get out of being a volunteer tax preparer at MEDA?
- You will receive basic tax training, and learn tax law. Tax preparation is a basic skill that you’ll be able to use to help yourself, friends and family for years to come, and will provide the basic foundation for more complex returns you might have to prepare in the future.
- Become an IRS-certified tax preparer. All volunteers will pass the IRS Basic Certification exam before assisting any clients and will receive a certificate from the IRS upon completion of the VITA program.
- Strong resume builder of unique community service in business. Whether you are looking to go into accounting, consulting, business, or even law school or medical school, VITA will look great on your resume. This is a unique community-service experience that will help you stand out. You are making a tangible impact on peoples’ lives while gaining business experience.
- Client experience in a business setting. Communication is one of the key skills for which companies are looking. Being able to say you’ve actually gained and practiced these skills can set you apart from other job applicants.
- Free meals. We cater our volunteer experience, bringing in some delicious, favorite local food.
Sign up now to become a volunteer tax preparer at MEDA
To sign up or get more information, please register through our Volunteer Tracking system (Shiftboard).
If you have any further questions about the tax volunteer program please email Oscar Aguayo.
Volunteer with Kids for the Mission Promise Neighborhood
If you’re interested in volunteering with Mission students, fill out the Mission Promise Neighborhood online form instead.
(MEDA is the lead agency for this education initiative.)
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Our Volunteers
Mission Economic Development Agency honors its dedicated volunteers — the community members who are an integral part of MEDA’s ability to provide free services to low- and moderate-income Bay Area residents. Thanks to all of the selfless MEDA volunteers who choose Plaza Adelante as their second home. Meet our Volunteers.