Policy & Advocacy inquiries:
Mission Economic Development Agency
(415) 282-3334 ext. 150
Statement of Unwavering Support for Latino Immigrant Community – 11/10/16
For over four decades, MEDA has been a nonprofit at the vanguard of providing free services to strengthen our families, thereby investing in people’s lives. We now serve 7,000+ clients annually, with two-thirds immigrants.
Immigrants have made our nation strong from the start, creating a dynamic country that is the envy of the world. Immigrants start small businesses, are consumers and are taxpayers.
Waves of Latino immigration from Mexico, Central America and South America have long contributed to the growth of this nation’s economy and created a vibrant culture. Most came north to escape political strife or to free themselves from abject poverty in their homelands. That is never an easy decision, but it is a decision that is easier to make when you know there is a safe, welcoming place for you on the other side. MEDA is that place.
MEDA’s mission applies to all — no matter the background story of how a client happens to wind up walking through the welcoming doors of Plaza Adelante in San Francisco’s Mission District. That mission remains “to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development.”
Due to recent attempts to ostracize and vilify the Latino community across the land, MEDA’s commitment to this mission must be stronger than ever. And it will be.
MEDA vows to:
- Work diligently to ensure that San Francisco honors its commitment to remain a strong sanctuary city.
- Implement San Francisco’s recently passed Proposition N, which gives noncitizen residents the ability to vote in school board elections.
- Support our allies fighting for fair and just immigration policies.
- Always stand up against entrenched xenophobia, racism, homophobia, misogyny and any other form of discrimination.
- Uncompromisingly protect and stand up for our immigrant families.
You have our word.
Policy & Advocacy Goals
MEDA engages and mobilizes the community around public policy issues that advance the asset building agenda of San Francisco’s Latino residents and merchants. These agendas promote economic self-sufficiency through research, organizing and advocacy efforts on issues related to community land-based planning, community asset building and citywide policy initiatives. MEDA’s priorities are housing, education, financial services and business.
Make Change Happen
MEDA’s Policy Program develops, analyzes, and advocates for public policies that support a strong and stable working-class community in the Mission District and further strengthen low-income Latino residents throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
MEDA is investing in the following policy areas:
- Community-Based Land Use Planning: Advocating for smart and just land-use policies that encourage affordable housing, protect small businesses, create jobs for Mission residents and prevent displacement of community members.
- Community Asset Building: Working to develop strategies to build wealth for low- and moderate-income community members and to ensure that the community has a greater capacity for financial self-determination.
- Citywide Policy Initiatives: Working collaboratively with other nonprofits and city agencies to ensure that public policies support the needs of low-and moderate-income families and small businesses.
MEDA is about solutions for the Mission District … and beyond.
Stories of Policy & Advocacy.