REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
DATE REVISED: February 2021
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) – Rooted in San Francisco’s Mission District, MEDA is advancing a national equity movement by building Latino prosperity, community ownership and civic power. We find meaning and fulfillment in investing in people’s lives. As MEDA continues to strengthen this community, we need more talented professionals dedicated to inspiring positive change – and driven to succeed in a fast-paced team environment.
Reporting to the chief financial officer (CFO), the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all accounting and reporting Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Senior Accountant will be responsible for maintaining the books for MEDA’s diverse lines of business which include affordable housing development, small business lending, workforce development and financial capability services. She or he will support the finance team members to ensure that MEDA has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. This position requires a deep knowledge of accounting, understanding of accounts receivable processing, and intercompany transactions. This is not a fully remote position. Once it is safe to do so MEDA staff will return to the San Francisco office with some opportunities for occasional remote work.
- Prepare, analyze, monitor progress and report financial information and supporting schedules in an accurate and timely manner: clearly communicate monthly, quarterly and annual financial results keeping senior leadership informed
- Complete bank reconciliations for multiple accounts and balance sheets
- Proactively identify and implement process, workflow and system improvements and efficiencies to standardize, automate and streamline operations
- Prepare and track intercompany entries. Prepare recurring and non-recurring journal entries as required. Assist in preparation of notes to the financial statements.
- Actively manage and prepare high-level, complex accounting and financial transactions and financial statements in compliance with GAAP and GASB accounting standards.
- Work with Finance staff to ensure compliance with external stakeholders and constituents including the annual Financial and Single Audits.
- Oversee all financial, programs and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate and foundation grants in a timely manner.
- BA/BS in Accounting/Finance or related field required; advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years of direct accounting experience
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus. simple reporting
- Strong business acumen and logical problem solver
- Nonprofit Accounting experience helpful
- MIP-Abila and ADP software experience highly desirable.
- Advanced excel skills
- Excellent communication skills; be comfortable interacting with all staff levels
- Ability to work with little management or guidance on a daily basis. Self-motivating and self-guided.
- Experience with affordable housing highly desirable.
- Have passion for MEDA’s mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization.
- Spanish language a plus
- This is not a fully remote position
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and application by clicking on the link below: