Position: Director of Development & Communications
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Revision Date: May 2021
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) – Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development.
MEDA is advancing strategies to create asset building opportunities for San Francisco’s Latino families and in the Mission District through: (1) our core, integrated Asset Building Programs in housing, financial capability, workforce development, and tax preparation; (2) serving as a backbone agency to advance educational achievement and family economic success through the Mission Promise Neighborhood 2-generation approach; (3) creating and preserving affordable housing and commercial real estate in the Mission District through Community Real Estate; (4) providing access to capital and business technical assistance through MEDA’s CDFI, Fondo Adelante; (5) Policy & Advocacy efforts that support our mission; and (6) Sharing the Model through providing technical assistance on successful MEDA programs to local and national partners.
The Director of Development & Communications will be responsible for the oversight and management of fundraising strategy, fund development and communications strategy for MEDA. This includes institutional and individual fundraising to generate contributed revenue in support of the agency’s operations. This individual will lead efforts to ensure maximum alignment between fund development, communications, and other functional areas of the organization, including programs, finance and evaluation.
The Director of Development & Communications directs the work of a 6 FTE team which is responsible for managing the full range of fund development, communications and marketing activities for the organization. Fundraising activities include research, grant writing and reporting with public agencies, private foundations and corporations; collaborative fundraising planning and implementation with MEDA’s local and national partners; and strategic design and implementation of an individual donor campaign. Additionally, the Development & Communications Team is responsible for coordinating and implementing the organization’s annual event, as well as other special events. Oversight of the communications functions includes working with the Associate Director of Communications & Marketing in the development and implementation of a communications strategy across various media platforms.
This is not a fully remote position. Successful candidate must be able to work in our San Francisco office 2-3 days per week.
As part of the Management Team, the Director of Development & Communications is responsible for making decisions and taking actions needed to:
- Plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate the work of the unit based on MEDA’s current strategic plan
- Serve on and fulfill the functions of the Management Team
- Hire, train, supervise, motivate, manage, coordinate, support, and evaluate staff
- Manage department budgets
- Work with administration/operations as needed to create systems
- Represent the Development & Communications Team (to the Management Team, other staff, Board, other stakeholders, and the public)
Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Develop and implement strategy for all annual fundraising efforts to support the organization’s general operations and the Mission Promise Neighborhood
- Engage in program design and development with Program Directors and Managers as it relates to the pursuit of new funding opportunities and the preparation of funding proposals.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit individual/major donor and institutional prospects and prioritize new opportunities for support.
- Organize funder site visits and meetings in collaboration with the CEO, COO, Program Directors and Development Team.
- Provide oversight and quality control for the grant writing process, and contribute to the grant writing process as needed.
- Coordinate and manage collaborative fundraising applications to institutional funders with MEDA’s local and national partners.
- Develop and implement systems and processes associated with fundraising, including but not limited to: grants calendar, grants management, reporting, funder communications, donor data tracking in Salesforce, and funder acknowledgement.
- Co-develop with the Associate Director of Communications & Marketing, implementation of a communications and marketing plan which highlights and promotes the programs and services of the agency
Administration and Leadership
- Develop and enhance MEDA’s relationships with key constituencies via networking, public speaking, presenting, and other relationship-building activities.
- Supervise development and communications staff, volunteers and interns, and contractors. Current team include Associate Director of Marketing and Communications; Associate Director of Philanthropic Engagement (individual/major donor focused); Development Manager (institutional funding focused); Senior Grant Writer, Development Officer, and Community Communications Officer.
- Serve as an active member of MEDA’s Senior Management Team.
- Support the Board of Directors in their fundraising efforts.
- Oversee the reporting process with the evaluation team and program staff to ensure that reports are consistent with goals and deliverables for foundation, government and corporate funding. Contribute to the reporting process through the creation of narrative reports and providing quality control.
- Work closely with CFO and finance team to ensure reconciliation of all contributed income and tracking of revenue, pledges and gifts.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 7 – 10 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising.
- Broad knowledge of fund and resource development principals including individual giving, grant writing, donor relationships and donor management systems and databases.
- Substantial experience designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans for all funding streams including major gifts, corporate, foundation, and annual giving with successful track record of raising funds at the 5M+ level annually.
- Substantial experience with communications and marketing leadership, including an understanding of communications strategies and planning processes; and an understanding of strategic marketing methodologies.
- Strong grant writing and editing skills with demonstrated experience in obtaining federal, state, local and/or foundation grants.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage senior staff and board in solicitation and cultivation activities.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and deliver persuasive and clear written and verbal communications, with strong presentation skills.
- Experience organizing and managing donor and community events.
- Strong management skills including staff supervision, coaching and mentoring.
- Exceptional attention to detail/organization skills.
- Technical skills for tools used by MEDA (Google suite, Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce, Zoom)
- Ability to understand program and organizational budgets.
- Experience and comfort working in a fast pace, deadline-driven environment.
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
Please click on the following link and complete the application.