Reports to: Associate Director of Marketing & Communications
Revised: May 2021
Mission Economic Development Agency – Building on its 48-year history, and rooted in San Francisco’s Mission District, MEDA is advancing a national equity movement by building Latino prosperity, community ownership and civic power. Our direct service programs serve 8,000 individuals each year through rental and homeownership counseling, small business development, digital literacy, workforce development, financial education and free tax preparation. We also devote resources to research and evaluation, community organizing and advocacy. In the process, MEDA is helping to develop best practices in the field, and shares its model across the state and country.
MEDA is the lead backbone agency for the Mission Promise Neighborhood (www.missionpromise.org), a neighborhood based effort to improve education and create family economic stability for Mission District families through a cradle- to college- to career continuum of services. MEDA recently launched two new programs- Community Real Estate development and a federally certified CDFI, Fondo Adelante, to further respond to the needs of the community it serves.
The Community Communications Officer is a strong communicator, project manager, writer, relationship builder, and strategic thinker who is passionate about MEDA’s mission to support the Latino community in the SF Mission District. This position is supported by a strong seven-person Development/Communications team and able to work and learn from seasoned professionals in the nonprofit field. This position requires working in MEDA’s San Francisco office the majority of the time. The Community Communications Officer will lead or support on responsibilities that may include but are not limited to:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As part of department overall Marketing & Communications content marketing strategy, develop and deploy content that will further the engagement of: community members residing in MEDA-owned/managed properties; loan recipients of MEDA’s own community loan arm, Fondo Adelante; families of the Mission Promise Neighborhood community anti-poverty education initiative, for which MEDA is the backbone agency; asset building programs and services; and MEDA Policy & Advocacy team to activate community members to be decision-makers around issues that affect their lives.
- Analyze metrics of blogs, social media channel(s) and email blasts (including A/B splits for email blasts) to ensure audience content needs are being best met.
- Act as community manager for MEDA Facebook page of 35,000 followers, engaging community members by answering Messenger inquiries, running targeted ads and running/assisting on Facebook Live information sessions.
- Develop and explore other client-forward social media marketing strategies on other platforms, including Instagram, Youtube, Tiktok, etc.
- Support internal communications, including the coordination of MEDA’s monthly internal newsletter.
- Translate English content on websites and social media posts to Spanish, as needed.
- Make creative, written content and send out email blasts to community members.
- Conduct client success story interviews and write bilingual blogs, linking from bilingual Facebook posts and with clear calls-to-action.
- Support staff, as needed, in the creation of community member fliers and other design projects required by the Development team.
- Proofread team members’ work, as needed.
- Potential to learn stakeholder (partners/funders/elected officials) communications over time.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field: English, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, etc.
- Minimum two years in a communications role
- Must speak and write fluent Spanish
- Must be able to write persuasively in Spanish and English (blogs; social media posts; email blasts, etc.)
- Must have a social media background/interest, especially as a community manager
- Photography skills a plus
- Audio/visual (i.e., video, audio recording for podcasting, etc.) skills a plus
- Adobe Creative Suite preferred (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge)
- WordPress skills a plus
- Email software skills a plus
Click on the following link and include your cover letter and resume. Please also submit one bilingual writing sample (blog; social media post or email blast) of which you are most proud.