Reports To: Associate Director, Preservation, Community Real Estate
Revised: June 2021
Join our MEDA Team
At MEDA, we find meaning and fulfillment in investing in people’s lives. We work collaboratively to close the opportunity gap for low- to moderate-income Latino families in San Francisco’s Mission District by providing them access to affordable housing, career and small-business development, education and more. As MEDA continues to strengthen this community, we need more talented professionals dedicated to inspiring positive change – and driven to succeed in a fast-paced team environment. Be one of us!
Your Career Opportunity
As a Project Manager with the Community Real Estate team, you will be on the leading edge of MEDA’s efforts to stop displacement of families in the Mission and San Francisco through housing preservation and production. The Project Manager will primarily focus on housing preservation – the acquisition, rehabilitation, management of construction, and transition of buildings to operations. Your passion for keeping families rooted and advocacy for making change will be well utilized in this position. Your skills in careful project and financial management, directing and coaching of junior staff and leading decision making will ensure your success in this position. You will be strongly considered if you have experience in affordable housing, and every candidate is considered regardless of their experience.
Are you interested in combining your skills in real estate/financial analysis with a commitment to social resilience for the Mission district in the San Francisco?
Specifically, you will:
- Real Estate development: Acquire and rehabilitate apartment buildings with current tenants by managing project teams of 1-2 staff. Conduct due diligence tasks to safeguard the organization’s investments and corporate integrity. Work closely with asset management to transition buildings into MEDA’s portfolio upon acquisition.
- Financing: Establish and manage the budget and fee projections both for the project financing and construction costs.
- Tenant and community outreach: As the first point of contact with potential tenants in real estate acquisition, establish trusting relationship with tenants in coordination with other MEDA staff, including community real estate and housing opportunities program staff.
- Constant improvement: Be part of an evolving team which reinforces standard operating procedures for increasing efficiency and maintains communications.
Your Keys to Success
To perform successfully in this role, you will need to leverage these key qualifications:
- 2+ years of real estate development experience with direct responsibility for team management
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience with a minimum of 5 years; Master’s degree in nonprofit management, public policy, urban planning or related area a plus;
- Emerging leadership and management skills, with focus on data management, accountability and achieving results;
- Interpersonal skills that allow for the development of positive working relationship and conflict resolution while maintaining strong supervision and accountability;
- Experience and knowledge of coaching methodology.
- Awareness of construction and design issues related to housing development
- Strong financial proforma and writing skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Spanish fluency preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Mission District preferred with professional or personal experience working with communities of color required.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain cooperative relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds, including board members, public sector staff and officials, representatives of other nonprofit organizations, vendors, and people from low-income households.
- High degree of independence, initiative, responsibility, and accountability as well as capability in a team environment.
Your MEDA Experience
Do meaningful work in an innovative workplace, while being challenged for your professional growth.
Joining MEDA means having meaningful experiences that develop achievers – from across the Mission neighborhood and from within our organization. We find meaning and fulfillment in our work as we see this community thrive and are driven to achieve better outcomes by challenging ourselves to innovate in our ways of working.
We offer a market-leading benefits program that reflects MEDA’s values and mission. We invest in people’s lives and support our own people’s health and financial well-being.
Our core benefits include:
- Comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and their dependents – 100 percent covered by MEDA
- 401(k) Plan for employees
- Generous paid time off — minimum of 20 days for new employees
- Employee Assistance Program that offers free financial or legal counseling to employees or their families
- Other forms of voluntary benefits
Click on the following link and include your cover letter and resume.