Reports to: Director of Fondo Adelante
Revised: January 2021
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) – Building on its 48-year history, MEDA is advancing innovative approaches to asset development. Its efforts are focused on serving low-income, Spanish-speaking San Franciscans. Our direct service programs serve 7,500 individuals each year through homeownership counseling and foreclosure intervention, business development, digital literacy, workforce development, financial education and free tax preparation. We also devote resources to research and evaluation, community organizing and advocacy. In the process, MEDA is helping to develop best practices in the field.
In 2015 MEDA launched a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) – Fondo Adelante – to provide loans throughout the San Francisco Bay Area to Latino-owned small businesses that are currently underserved by traditional and non-traditional lenders alike. Fondo Adelante’s initial micro and small business loan products provide loans of up to $100,000 to qualifying business owners. The CDFI has also launched several emergency loan programs to respond to COVID-19’s impact on Bay Area small businesses and is currently in the process of deploying more than $10 million in no-interest or low-interest loans. Fondo Adelante recently integrated its lending team with MEDA’s Business Development Program to better facilitate pre- and post-loan closing technical assistance (offered in both English and Spanish) for small business borrowers. With this integration of business capital and business coaching support, MEDA is meeting the needs of low-income, Latino-owned businesses to support asset-building through business growth and job creation in the San Francisco Bay Area.
MEDA is seeking a qualified Compliance Manager/Officer that will manage the reporting and compliance activities for Fondo Adelante’s growing body of lending and technical assistance work. Qualified candidates will possess experience in the community development sector and will have demonstrated the ability to manage projects and reports against hard deadlines.
This position reports to the Director of Fondo Adelante and works closely with all Fondo Adelante staff, as well as MEDA’s Evaluation and Finance teams. Fondo Adelante’s loan and technical assistance portfolio has grown rapidly through its emergency lending in response to COVID-19. So this is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious, high-impact community lender and help strengthen its infrastructure at a critical inflection point in its growth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Grant reporting: Manage reporting to all of Fondo Adelante’s funders (public and private), including on-time submission of programmatic, lending, and financial performance reports.
- Investor reporting: Manage reporting to all of Fondo Adelante’s lenders/investors, ensuring compliance with all financial and other contractual covenants.
- Regulatory reporting: Lead submission of Fondo Adelante’s annual reporting to regulatory agencies, primarily the US Treasury CDFI Fund and the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation.
- Coordinate with Loan Servicing Specialist to ensure accurate and timely reporting on Fondo Adelante’s lending and portfolio performance.
- Coordinate with MEDA Evaluation team to ensure accurate and timely programmatic data entry into MEDA’s Salesforce system.
- Assist MEDA Evaluation team in conducting ongoing analysis of the CDFI’s lending and technical assistance programs.
- Assist Director and managers in communication with the CDFI’s funders and investors.
- Continue to develop reporting capacity, including implementation of new systems and protocols related to reporting.
- Assist Director in regular reporting to Fondo Adelante Board and MEDA senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, business, finance, public administration, city/urban planning, or related field is required.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience, which could include: community or economic development, grant management, data science, consulting, finance, or business management (more years of experience required for Manager level).
- Experience working with small businesses, community development financial institutions, or community economic development programs, highly preferred.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and project management skills/experience.
- Strong Excel, data analysis, and research skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of or experience with under-banked, low-income, and underserved populations is highly desirable.
- Entrepreneurial work ethic, creativity, and openness to exploring new ideas, systems, and reporting tools.
- Commitment to MEDA’s mission and approach to economic and racial justice.
MEDA is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
Click on the link below and provide your resume and cover letter.