The Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) is a community-based, local economic development organization that, for over 49 years, has engaged individuals, families, and small businesses in community-building strategies. Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development.
The Housing Opportunities Coach – Rental will be responsible for working with low- and moderate-income San Francisco households, focusing predominantly on the Latino community to help them navigate through the below-market rate rental process, secure affordable housing, and help families develop long-term financial plans. The position will work closely with the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development (MOHCD), housing developers, and other community partners. The position also works closely with the Housing Opportunities Program team to coordinate activities and to remain current on developments in affordable housing services.
- Provide accurate, relevant, and helpful information primarily in Spanish/English to assist clients in the application process for below-market rate (BMR) rental units.
- Provide post-lottery coaching to MEDA clients who rank high in Dahlia lotteries for affordable housing and BMRs to place them in affordable housing.
- Coordinate with the Community Initiatives Manager and the MEDA Housing Promotoras to align strategies for mass community application efforts and a transition of high-ranking clients to the services above.
- Provide financial coaching and assess clients’ ability to qualify for affordable housing units based on their family size, income, and other factors affecting applications.
- Facilitate Rental and Financial Capability Workshops in Spanish and/or English.
- Help clients understand and possibly translate program documents, leases, and other notices.
- Assist in the maintenance of the program’s database, including data collection, input, and program reporting.
- Contribute to the creation of partnerships with developers, financial industry professionals, and community-based organizations.
- Supports clients with relevant service referrals internally through our asset-building programs or externally through our Mission Promise Neighborhood network and other community partners, as needed.
- Participate in advocacy for affordable rental opportunities in San Francisco.
- Represent MEDA in various affordable housing forums throughout San Francisco, as needed.
- Spanish fluency is required. Must be able to read and write in Spanish.
- Bachelor’s Degree OR equivalent experience providing affordable housing services to community members.
- HUD Certification or ability to pass the HUD Certified Housing Counselor Exam within 90 days of hire date.
- Strong verbal communication, presentation skills, and customer service.
- Professional or personal experience working with low-income, immigrant, and/or communities of color is required.
- Strong writing and computer skills, including word processing, timely email response, and use of Salesforce (CRM), are desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Experience in personal financial education, rental readiness, and counseling preferred.
- Familiarity with San Francisco’s affordable housing field preferred and knowledge of the housing lottery process from application to lease-up processes.
- Available to work outside regular business hours for night and weekend workshops.
- Able to demonstrate patience, compassion, and understanding of our clients’ needs.
Please click on the following link and complete the application form.