Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) is a community-based, local economic development organization which has engaged individuals and small businesses in community-building strategies for over 40 years. Our mission is to achieve economic justice for San Francisco’s low and moderate income Latino families through asset development.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Internships are designed to expand the depth and breadth of academic learning for you in your particular areas of study. It is an opportunity for you to receive experience in applying theories learned in the classroom to specific experiences in the community and workplace. An internship can also heighten your awareness of community issues, motivate you to create opportunities, embrace new ideas, and give direction to positive change. A successful internship can give you valuable information in making decisions about the direction of future studies or employment.
By the end of the internship our hope is that the you will be able to:
- Demonstrate leadership skills and gain confidence entering the workplace.
- Demonstrate the fundamental behaviors of cultural competency.
- Evaluate your fit within a career field and understand career pathways.
- Describe your knowledge about working in a mission driven, high performing environment.
- Create a network of peers and professionals to help you in your career path.
- Add your internship experience, skills gained and goals accomplished to your resume.
Internship objectives are goals established to ensure the intern’s productivity and growth as part of his or her experience within the organization. These objectives are project and training based, aligned with the job description, and/or provide structure to the student and supervisor for the time spent at the internship.
- Interns will gain familiarity with office structure and field-specific knowledge through an orientation, job shadows with staff members not on the team, observing all staff meetings, and participating in community events.
- Interns will be exposed to all facets of a high performing service providing organization by adding capacity to a program and participating in weekly assessments, database training and updating, researching, writing blogs, staff socials, mentor lunches and monthly Lunch and Learn sessions
- Intern will gain understanding about the culture of our community and clients by attending community events, working with clients at the office and on various projects.
- Intern will follow professional, safety and confidentiality standards by arriving on time, following the dress code, learning about time management, how to work independently and in a team and customer service standards.
- Interns will gain a professional network by participating in a cohort of interns, job shadowing, cross training with at least three other programs, and being paired with a mentor.
Program Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Mission Promise Neighborhood links family economic security with student academic achievement. It creates a comprehensive, integrated framework of evidence-based services that responds to urgent needs and builds on the foundation of student, family, community, and school strengths and assets. Together, parents, neighbors and partner organizations work block-by-block, guaranteeing that all Mission children, youth and their families achieve academic excellence and economic self-sufficiency. Intern will help support MPN in the implementation of several projects involving parent education, early literacy and community outreach.
- Create Outreach strategy for Early Learning program Abriendo Puertas
- Research disparities in Infant Toddler slots
- Research School Transitions (ES-MS-HS)
- Help with MPN Rebrand- interview partners and parents and help develop a strategy to “tell our story”.
- Plan and create best strategy to expand the Book Giveaway
- Create schedule for workshops for parents at schools and develop and outreach strategy
- Referral Tool- Build capacity for partners who do want to use the tool; schedule and train partners, partner visits, research of other tools (incorporation, what works v does not work)
- Mission Techie Project: Create an MPN App- Bring MPN families our information in more accessible and easy way
- Update contacts on Salesforce