The goal of MEDA’s internship program is focused on helping Latin@s in San Francisco explore their future. Our customized internship provides our participants exposure to professional development, career exploration and a new set of skills — all while learning the breadth of MEDA’s various programs. The goal further serves to raise the intern’s awareness of the dynamic challenges faced by our community, as participants become ambassadors for MEDA’s overall mission for the Mission.
Program Learning Outcomes
Internships are designed to expand the depth of academic learning for you in your particular areas of study. This is an ideal opportunity for you to receive experience in applying theories learned in the classroom to specific experiences in the community and workplace. An internship can also heighten your awareness of community issues, motivate you to create opportunities and embrace new ideas, and give direction to positive change. A successful internship offers valuable information in making decisions about the direction of future studies or employment.
By the end of the internship, our hope is that the you will be able to:
- Demonstrate leadership skills and gain confidence entering the workplace.
- Demonstrate the fundamental behaviors of cultural competency.
- Evaluate your fit within a career field and understand career pathways.
- Describe your knowledge about working in a mission-driven, high-performing environment.
- Create a network of peers and professionals to help you in your career path.
- Add your internship experience, skills gained and goals accomplished to your resume.
Internship objectives are goals established to ensure the intern’s productivity and growth as part of his or her experience within the organization. These objectives are project and training based, aligned with the job description, and/or provide structure to the student and supervisor for the time spent at the internship.
- Interns will gain familiarity with office structure and field-specific knowledge through an orientation, job shadows with staff members not on the team, observing all staff meetings and participating in community events.
- Interns will be exposed to all facets of a high-performing service-providing organization by adding capacity to a program and participating in weekly assessments, database training and updating, researching, writing blogs, staff socials, mentor lunches and monthly “Lunch and Learn” sessions.
- Intern will gain understanding about the culture of the Mission and MEDA’s clients by attending community events, working with clients at the office and on various projects.
- Intern will follow professional, safety and confidentiality standards by arriving on time, following the dress code, plus learning about time management, how to work independently and on a team, and customer service standards.
- Interns will gain a professional network by participating in a cohort of interns, job shadowing, cross training with at least three other programs, and being paired with a mentor.
All are welcomed to apply, but we will prioritize based on certain qualifications and criteria as follows.
- Prioritize people who:
- Need internship credit
- Speaks Spanish or want to improve Spanish-language skills
- Live in San Francisco’s Mission District
- Preferred criteria:
- Second to fourth year in college
- Completion of MEDA Workforce Development program or another vocational program and need professional experience
- Pass the tech-literacy assessment
- Criteria can also depend on each program’s needs
- Be able to start Fall 2018.
- Be able to commit at least 20 hours a week.
- Be available during office hours: Monday-Friday 9am- 5pm (different shifts available).
- Be able to commit to either Tuesday 10am-2pm or Wednesday 10am-2pm as a standing meeting day with the rest of the cohort.
For more information, please email email@example.com.
VITA TAX INTERNSHIP
Provide free tax return preparation to persons eligible for service. As a Tax intern, you will get the opportunity to improve your skills and learn about asset development services, while helping thousands of low-income families keep millions of dollars in tax returns. You will help the site coordinator manage each site by taking charge everyday admin operations.