Temporary FT Jan – Apr 2018
Hours: Average 40 hours per week
Supervisor: Tax Program Lead
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) is a community-based, local economic development organization which for over 40 years has engaged individuals and small business in community-building strategies that together lead to appropriate and equitable economic development in the Mission District. MEDA primarily serves low-income clients, focusing on the Latino and/or Spanish-speaking community. In accomplishing its mission, MEDA is involved in small business assistance, homeownership services, tax preparation, financial capability services and workforce development services.
Since 2010 MEDA has coordinated the tax program for the Human Services Agency managing 4 sites in the City of San Francisco providing free tax preparation services to low-income families and individuals. This effort has brought more than $30 million to the community by preparing more than 24,000 tax returns.
The VITA site offers free tax assistance to low-income families and connects them to other asset development services.
1) Assist with managing tax site during operating hours
- Submit/transmit files timely (preferred within 48 hours, average of 20-25 hours per week)
- Manage rejected and incomplete returns
- Do/supervise the quality review process
- Assist greeting of tax clients
- Assist with preparation of returns by clients and assist volunteers with questions (average of 10-15 hours per week)
- Prepare ITIN applications and renewals (average of 5 hours per week)
- Attend and participate in weekly tax meetings
- Assist set up and take down site materials for each shift (i.e. forms, files)
- Assist with appointment making as needed
- Make sure that materials for taxpayers are ready
Communicate all the issues affecting the tax preparation in the site to other site coordinators and tax program lead.
- Supporting client connections to other asset building services.
- Other related duties as required
2) Assist with coordinating volunteers in collaboration with Tax Program Site Coordinators
- Keep copy of volunteer forms
- Assist with volunteer orientations
- Assist holding volunteer appreciation event at the end of the tax season
3) Manage data and reporting
- Manage tax client files
- Secure client information and confidentiality
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong initiative and project follow through
- Cultural competence in working with diverse populations, including communities of color, immigrants, LGBT communities, and persons of various ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, health status, and abilities
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Ability to work independently and ask for support when needed.
- Supervisor experience preferred.
- Commitment to social justice and asset building for low-income population
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- IRS certification at the Advance level for the VITA program preparation
Click on the link below and complete the application form.