Temporary FT Jan – Apr 2018
Hours: Average 40 hours per week
Supervisor: Tax Program Lead and Tax Site Coordinator
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) is a community-based, local economic development organization which for over 40 years has engaged individuals and small business in community-building strategies that together lead to appropriate and equitable economic development in the Mission District. MEDA primarily serves low-income clients, focusing on the Latino and/or Spanish-speaking community. In accomplishing its mission, MEDA is involved in three distinct activities: small business assistance, financial education, public benefits, homeownership counseling and community planning.
Since 2010 MEDA has coordinated the tax program for the Human Services Agency managing 4 sites in the City of San Francisco providing free tax preparation services to low income families and individuals. This effort has brought more than $30 million to the community by preparing more than 24,000 tax returns.
The VITA site offers free tax assistance to low income families and connect them to other asset development services such as public benefits, affordable financial products, management personal finances among others.
Manage Plaza Adelante tax site during operating hours
- Greet clients, provide the required forms (IRS and MEDA)and review that forms are filled out before passing them to the tax preparers
- Answer the main phone line to schedule tax appointments
- Follow the screening script to verify that client are eligible for tax services
- Schedule appointments for all the 4 VITA sites in the google calendar
- Respond to phone calls timely
- Coordinate the support from volunteer greeters at Plaza Adelante
- Prepare the intake package accordingly with the number of clients for day
- Oversee greeting of tax clients and make sure clients fill out of the forms required by the IRS and MEDA.
- Assist clients with basic tax questions and eligibility for tax services.
- Prepare taxes for low-income and immigrant families.
- Prepare all the document for the tax client before passing them to the tax preparer
- Communicate to clients about the asset development services at Sparkpoint- Plaza Adelante
- Attend the volunteer appreciation event at the end of the tax season
- Supporting client connections to other asset building services.
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong initiative and project follow through
- Cultural competence in working with diverse populations, including communities of color, immigrants, LGBT communities, and persons of various ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, health status, and abilities
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Commitment to social justice and asset building for low income population
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- IRS certification at the Advanced level for the VITA program preparation
Please click on the following link and complete the application form.