Temporary FT Jan – Apr 2018
Hours: Vary by tax site. Must be flexible and willing to work evenings and weekends
Supervisor: Tax Program Manager
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) is a community-based, local economic development organization which for over 40 years has engaged individuals and small business in community-building strategies that together lead to appropriate and equitable economic development in the Mission District. MEDA primarily serves low-income clients, focusing on the Latino and/or Spanish-speaking community. In accomplishing its mission, MEDA is involved in small business assistance, financial capability, tax preparation, public benefits, homeownership services and workforce development.
Since 2010 MEDA has coordinated the tax program for the Human Services Agency managing 4 sites in the City of San Francisco providing free tax preparation services to low income families and individuals. This effort has brought more than $30 million to the community by preparing more than 24,000 tax returns and engaging low income folks in a long-term path towards financial capability.
The VITA site offers free tax assistance to low-income families and connects them to other asset development services such as public benefits, affordable financial products, management of personal finances among others.
The Tax Site Asset Specialist will coordinate the delivery of asset development information, services and products to tax program clients.
- Connect clients to relevant asset development services at Sparkpoint- Plaza Adelante by referring to the intake and assessment forms.
- Actively engage and connect clients to asset building product and service opportunities at multiple points during the tax preparation process.
- Assist clients in making connections to appropriate services/providers at site.
- Work closely with all players at the tax site including site coordinators, volunteers, program staff, partners and clients to generate a cohesive asset building delivery process.
- Monitor and track the uptake rate of products and services offered.
- Assist with the preparation, communication and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing data.
- Promote asset building products and services by coordinating and creating materials for the tax site.
- Attend the volunteer appreciation event at the end of the tax season.
- Supporting client connections to other asset building services.
- Previous experience with asset development services; such as banking the unbanked, credit, debt management, savings and/or financial capability.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and in Spanish.
- Strong initiative and project follow through.
- Cultural competence in working with diverse populations, including communities of color, immigrants, LGBT communities, and persons of various ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, health status, and abilities.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- Commitment to social justice and asset building for low-income population.
- IRS certification at the Advanced level for the VITA program preparation
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Education and/or Communications is desirable but not mandatory.
- Sales experience preferred.
- Previous experience with benefits screening; such as screening and enrolling in Medical, CalWorks, WIC, CalFresh, CARE, etc. preferred.
Please click on the following link and complete the application form.