Reports to: Business Lending Manager
Revised: April 2018
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) – Building on its 45-year history, MEDA is advancing innovative approaches to generational asset building. Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development. We envision generations of Latino families with sufficient assets to thrive. Inspired by the past and present life of the Mission District, families are rooted in vibrant, diverse and forward-thinking communities, have opportunities to grow, and are actively engaged in the civic and political life of their neighborhoods and the institutions that affect their lives.
In 2015 MEDA launched a community lending fund – Adelante Fund – to provide loans to small businesses in San Francisco and the surrounding region that are currently underserved by traditional and non-traditional lenders alike. Adelante Fund provides loans ranging from $5,000 to $100,000 to qualifying small business owners. The community loan fund works closely with MEDA’s Business Development Program to also provide business coaching (offered in both English and Spanish) for small business borrowers. With this integration of capital and business support, MEDA is meeting the needs of Latino, immigrant, and women-owned businesses throughout the Bay Area.
MEDA is seeking competitive candidates who demonstrate the ability to build business relationships within Latino and immigrant communities to generate referrals and source leads that meet Adelante Fund’s lending criteria and mission. Our Small Business Loan Officer will originate, package, and close qualified loan applications for business loans up to $100,000. Adelante Fund’s target market includes a wide spectrum of businesses, ranging from small, informal cash-based businesses with no formal credit and limited documentation to businesses with up to $1,000,000 in sales and 10-20 employees.
This position reports to the Business Lending Manager and works closely with the manager to meet loan production goals. This is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious, emerging community loan fund and help strengthen the Latino and immigrant small business communities of San Francisco and throughout the Bay Area.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build relationships and a referral base among small business owners, business associations, community partners; participate in community events in the San Francisco Bay Area, specifically within Latino and immigrant communities.
- Attend business site visits, networking events, and other outreach events, dedicating more than 50% of time to outside-the-office networking and referral cultivation.
- Generate a strong pipeline of qualified loan applications that meet Adelante Fund’s lending criteria and mission.
- Efficiently process complete application packages, including screening packages against product guidelines and required documents, entering and processing applications in our system, gathering all required documents, and closing out loans (approvals or declines) within a target timeframe.
- Analyze basic cash flow and repayment ability through interviews with business owners and review of loan application, tax returns, bank statements, references, credit reports, employment and income verification, and collateral.
- Make decisive loan recommendations and clearly articulate a compelling case for loan decisions to appropriate approval authorities.
- Monitor and help collect on Adelante Fund’s portfolio of small business loans.
- Facilitate referral of business clients to and from MEDA’s Business Development Program for both pre- and post-loan business coaching, and help lead “Access to Capital” workshops for business clients.
- Provide excellent customer service and fast turn-around time to build client trust and Adelante Fund’s brand and reputation in our community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Significant sales experience in financial services (preferably business lending) as a loan officer, loan consultant, business banker, or sales rep at a microfinance institution, consumer lender, bank, credit union, leasing company or other financial institution.
- Commitment to MEDA’s mission and place-based approach to economic and social justice; bilingual in English and Spanish is required.
- Bachelor degree in business related subject, and loan servicing and collections experience preferred; knowledge of or experience with under-banked, low-income, and underserved populations is highly desirable.
- Self-starter who goes beyond job description to make sure goals are achieved; demonstrated ability to consistently meet or exceed monthly sales quotas.
- Strong analytical, math skills with willingness to use qualitative and quantitative data in decision-making.
- Working knowledge of Excel required, and desire/ability to learn other software programs to manage loan portfolio.
- An entrepreneurial work ethic, creativity, and openness to exploring new ideas, systems, and financial tools.
MEDA is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
Send resume to email@example.com with three brief bullet points on why we should consider you for this important job.