Reports to: Director of Program Evaluation, Learning and Impact
Revised: April 2017
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) – Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development.
MEDA is advancing strategies to create asset building opportunities for San Francisco’s Latino families and in the Mission District through: (1) our core, integrated Asset Building Programs related to housing, financial capability, workforce development, business development and tax preparation; (2) serving as a backbone agency to advance educational achievement and family economic success through the Mission Promise Neighborhood 2-generation approach; (3) creating and preserving affordable housing and commercial real estate in the Mission District through Community Real Estate; (4) providing access to capital and innovative financial products through the Adelante Fund; and (5) Policy & Advocacy efforts that support our mission.
About the Mission Promise Neighborhood (MPN)
In December of 2012, MEDA was one of seven agencies selected for funding by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Innovation & Improvement to receive a Promise Neighborhoods Program Implementation Grant. This 5 year, $30 million federal program seeks to improve academic achievement and family economic success for San Francisco’s Mission District families and students, and targets four low-performing schools. MPN is a collaborative, community-based program led by MEDA with 20 partners including San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD), the Office of San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, Stanford University’s John W. Gardner Center for Youth and their Communities, United Way of the Bay Area (UWBA), and various city agencies and community based organizations.
Vision: The Mission Promise Neighborhood builds a future where every child excels and every family succeeds. Students enter school ready for success and graduate from high school prepared for college and careers. The Mission District thrives as a healthy and safe community that provides families and their children the opportunity to prosper economically and to call San Francisco their permanent home.
Mission: The Mission Promise Neighborhood links family economic security with student academic achievement. It creates a comprehensive, integrated framework of evidence-based services that responds to urgent needs and builds on the foundation of student, family, community, and school strengths and assets. Together, parents, neighbors, and partner organizations work block-by-block, guaranteeing that all Mission children, youth, and their families achieve academic excellence and economic self-sufficiency.
The Mission Promise Neighborhood (MPN) Evaluator will play a critical role in organizational efforts to meet outcomes specified by the organization and its funders, with special attention to the Mission Promise Neighborhood. The Evaluator will help lead the development and implementation of a robust and rigorous performance improvement and information management system that evaluates program performance and trains and empowers staff. The MPN Evaluator will assist the Director of Evaluation in creating a “culture of learning” at MEDA and among partner organizations by creating and maintaining systems for data collection, sharing, and data-driven learning. The Evaluator will work closely with program, development and communications staff to report and present results to the community, partners and funders and drive the continual improvement of MPN programs to better serve participants and to foster growth, innovation, and funding opportunities. As the Mission Promise Neighborhood is its 5th year of work, the Evaluator will also synthesize research and findings to date and collect additional information in order to understand the collective impact of the initiative and tell the story of what has been accomplished and what still needs to be done.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Together with Evaluation Team and Partners, develop and conduct evaluation of MPN programs and collective impact
- Support direct service staff in quality improvement, including quality data collecting, reporting and assisting in the management of the database system
- Lead writing of Semi-annual reports to Department of Education which includes collecting, analyzing and telling the ‘story behind the data’
- Develop, organize and implement surveys and focus groups of families, clients, students and other stakeholder groups
- Support Evaluation team in analysis of surveys and data collecting, including writing reports, briefs and presenting results
- Conduct research as needed, including data requests to support MPN programs and staff that includes external data and analysis of internal client data
- Work with Evaluation Team to enhance collective data capacity with MEDA and among partner organizations through training sessions, workshops and other means
- Engage closely with MPN staff and partners to answer key research questions, and ensure that data requirements are met
- BA degree required, master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated success in project management and coordination of internal and external partners
- Experience with leading a project team and/or facilitating group discussions
- Demonstrated skill in developing and giving presentations to a varied audience of stakeholders
- Must possess strong communication and customer service skills; ability to work and reason independently, as well as within a team
- Previous experience working on topics related to social justice and equity
- Written and spoken fluency in Spanish
- At least 1 year of experience in with any of the following: online and paper survey design, focus group research, and other methods of information gathering; logic model development; qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with community members to carry out appropriate research methods and present data.
- An experience-based understanding of community and youth development program evaluation, measurement of outcomes in direct and indirect support of academic achievement in low-income communities, and in out-of-school settings is strongly preferred
- Experience conducting impact and outcomes assessments strongly preferred
- 2-3 years of experience managing data and tracking outcomes using a CMS (i.e. Salesforce)
- At least 1 year of Experience working within an educational setting, such as an early learning setting, public school district or city department OR working in a non-profit organization such as a community-based organization, public-serving institution or advocacy organization
- Experience with Results Based Accountability framework
- Although this position reports directly to the Director of Evaluation and works closely with the Evaluation Team, this role focuses most closely on the research and evaluation needs of the Mission Promise Neighborhood and thus will work very closely with the MPN Director and MPN Managers.
- Will work closely with MPN Managers and Partner Organizations to facilitate thinking on key research questions and measuring collective impact.
- MEDA features an open-office layout which encourages teamwork and spontaneous collaboration, as well as monthly happy-hours with staff.
Click on the following link and complete the application form.