Program: Asset Building Programs
Reports to: Business Development Program Manager
Revision Date: December 2016
Over its 43 year history, the Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) (www.medasf.org) has advanced innovative approaches to promote economic justice through asset development for the Latino community in San Francisco. Its programs foster asset creation through group education and one-on-one coaching in financial capability, small business development, homeownership, income tax preparation and community planning. The Business Development Program’s mission is to achieve economic self-sufficiency for San Francisco’s low and moderate income Latino entrepreneurs through the creation and expansion of sustainable local businesses, and job creation. BDP staff provides a continuum of business planning and support services, such as financial projections and business operations, access to capital, and lease negotiations to local businesses throughout San Francisco, and particularly the Mission District and Excelsior. All services are provided in English and Spanish through group workshops and one-on-one consultations.
MEDA is currently seeking a part-time (approximately 20 hours per week) business outreach specialist who will support economic development efforts of the Mission Street commercial corridor (along Mission Street from Duboce St. to Cesar Chavez); to strengthen businesses and community institutions by working towards maintaining a vibrant and healthy corridor that serves local residents. The successful candidate will join our team of business development coaches providing a full continuum of business services to micro- and growing businesses. Our ideal candidate will be visionary, entrepreneurial, and able to motivate others, have a strong grasp of the technical aspects of the job, and have the ability to visualize success and be a strong team player.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works collaboratively with MEDA’s Business Development Program and the various business support organizations, merchant associations, and City agencies focused on supporting Mission Street Commercial Corridor businesses.
- Conduct business retention and attraction activities for the corridor, including workshops and convenings for the purpose of educating and connecting business owners to resources that can help their businesses.
- Be a resource for all small businesses and community institutions along the corridor connecting them with available services, programs and opportunities to engage in events and activities.
- Conduct corridor outreach and door to door visits to businesses and community institutions within the Mission Street Commercial Corridor to organize business owners around retention and anti-displacement strategies along the corridor.
- Facilitate among Corridor business owners the development of policy solutions to stem displacement along the Mission Street Commercial Corridor.
- Maintain relationships with businesses, property owners, community institutions, City agencies and partners.
- Maintain documentation and develop basic databases of corridor work for tracking and reporting purposes.
- Track, monitor and document corridor activity, needs and implementation of services.
- Ensure timely submission of progress reports and regular communication with Program Manager and OEWD point person.
- Follows up with business owners on an ongoing basis to track impact of services provided.
- Collaborates with other staff to participate in program-specific partnerships with various stakeholders including representatives of local government, financial institutions, and community groups.
- One year previous experience in business planning and counseling field or two years experience as a business owner.
- Experience with program development especially as it relates to business, including outreach and service referrals.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Experience and/or desire to work with diverse populations.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, sociology, or other related field preferred or
- Spanish fluency required.
Go to the following link and complete the application form.