Reports to: Director of Development
Revised: November 2017
Mission Economic Development Agency – Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development.
MEDA is advancing strategies to create asset building opportunities for San Francisco’s Latino families and in the Mission District through: (1) our core, integrated Asset Building Programs related to housing, financial capability, workforce development, business development and tax preparation; (2) serving as a backbone agency to advance educational achievement and family economic success through the Mission Promise Neighborhood 2-generation approach; (3) creating and preserving affordable housing and commercial real estate in the Mission District through Community Real Estate; (4) providing access to capital and innovative financial products through the Adelante Fund; and (5) Policy & Advocacy efforts that support our mission.
The Grant Writer is part of a four-person development team dedicated to maintaining the vibrancy, health, and prosperity of the SF Mission for the Latino community. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Grant Writer will oversee a portfolio of corporate and private foundation funders and responsible for all aspects of the grants process, from proposal writing to submission. The Grant Writer will also conduct extensive prospect research for all of MEDA’s service offerings and program areas. Key qualities for success in this position include experience in project management or a desire to learn that skillset, strong writing skills, and attention to detail.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Institutional Fundraising: 70%
- Manage grant writing calendar
- Write compelling grant proposals and letters of inquiry
- Manage the preparation, submission, and tracking of proposals
- Oversee the proper reporting compliance for awarded proposals
- Cultivate relationships with corporations and foundations
- Maintain accurate records of all proposals, attachments, and budgets
- Work with program staff to prepare proposals and reports
- Lead meetings and liaise with corporate, foundation and government partners and internally with other MEDA departments
Individual Fundraising: 30%
- Support the development team as needed on other fundraising-related activities, including fundraising events, individual appeals, and major donors
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
- Two to five years of grant writing experience
- Ability to effectively collect, analyze, organize, distill and present information
- Strong networking skills and a demonstrated ability to liaise and build relationships with diverse stakeholder groups
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and prioritize while working to meet multiple deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential, both written and oral
- Knowledge of community development, housing, education, and/or other core areas of MEDA’s work a significant plus
- Ability to work both independently and also as a team player
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Spanish-language fluency desired
Click on the following link and complete the application with cover letter and resume.