Reports to: Director of Development
Revised: March 2018
Mission Economic Development Agency – Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development.
MEDA is advancing strategies to create asset building opportunities for San Francisco’s Latino families and in the Mission District through: (1) our core, integrated Asset Building Programs related to housing, financial capability, workforce development, business development and tax preparation; (2) serving as a backbone agency to advance educational achievement and family economic success through the Mission Promise Neighborhood 2-generation approach; (3) creating and preserving affordable housing and commercial real estate in the Mission District through Community Real Estate; (4) providing access to capital and innovative financial products through the Adelante Fund; and (5) Policy & Advocacy efforts that support our mission.
The Development Officer is part of a high-functioning nonprofit dedicated to maintaining the vibrancy, health, and prosperity of the SF Mission for the Latino community. As part of a four-person development team, the Development Officer is responsible for managing a portfolio of institutional and individual donor fundraising activities, including grant writing and reporting, producing Letters of Interest (LOIs), soliciting sponsorships, producing appeals and campaigns, and managing events. The Development Officer is a strong project manager, writer, relationship builder, and strategic thinker who is passionate about MEDA’s mission to support the Latino community in the SF Mission District. This position is supported by a strong development team and able to work and learn from seasoned professionals in the nonprofit field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Grant Writing and Management:
- Prepare funding proposals for government, corporate and foundation grants, including coordinating proposal components with evaluation, programs and finance departments
- Research and identify corporations, foundations and government funding opportunities
- Identify new local and national foundation prospects and engage them
- Lead meetings and liaise with corporate, foundation and government partners and internally with other MEDA departments
Communications & Events:
- Support with MEDA’s donor communications work, including producing donor newsletters and social media campaigns in collaboration with the Communications Department
- Plan & coordinate MEDA’s fundraisers, including small events and the annual gala, which hosts approximately 300 people annually
- In-depth collaboration with MEDA’s programs and work teams
- Contribute to overall fundraising objectives
- Work closely with Director of Development and Management Team to execute strategic plans in order to meet goals and build long-term financial sustainability
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
- Three to five years of experience in grant writing
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong facilitation skills
- Ability to effectively collect, analyze, organize, distill and present information
- Strong networking skills and a demonstrated ability to liaise and build relationships with diverse stakeholder groups
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and prioritize while working to meet multiple deadlines
- Knowledge of community development, housing, education, and/or other core areas of MEDA’s work a significant plus
- Ability to work both independently and also as a team player
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Spanish language fluency (verbal and written) a plus
Click on the following link and complete the application including a cover letter and resume.